it's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then

Analysis of a spicy bloody mary.

When I used to think of the ingredients involved in a bloody mary, I cringed. Seriously, you want me to drink tomato juice and vodka? For breakfast? No thank you.

Then on a sunny January afternoon, I went into Molly's at the Market in New Orleans. Everyone ordered bloody marys, I got water.

I tasted someone's bloody mary out of foodie curiousity and the world exploded into a delicious sensation of flavors and refreshment! I promptly ordered my own, and several more after that, and have since become quite the lover of blody marys.

It is breakfast in a glass. It is a Sunday morning anyday of the week, but I try to save my early afternoon boozing for non-working days ;)

I carefully watched the sassy, tattooed bartender at Molly's as she crafted me some liquid perfection and I wrote down every single one of the many ingredients that made up the spicy heaven in a glass.

I took that list home and tried to recreate it- and well, my culinary style is more interpretive than by the book, so I changed things and tried things and the ending result is a pretty mean bloody mary that has friends running over to visit anytime I whip up a pitcher.

Spicy Sunday Bloody Mary:

Get a large cup (or pitcher) and fill with ice. I don't think anyone wants to drink warm tomato juice- think cold, cold, cold. Cold = refreshing and lovely! I do vodka first, so I can keep track of how much I add. I dunno how much, depends on the day and crowd. Maybe a shot and a half per person- maybe 2?

Then add a few good shakes of worstershire sauce. A dash of Cajun chef hot sauce (optional- I sometimes pass on this). A splash of olive or pickle juice. A good shake or two of Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning. I like to add some fresh ground black pepper. A generous squeeze of fresh lemon and lime juice. Then equal parts Spicy V8 and Mr. and Mrs. T's Spicy Bloody Mary mix.

I make these in mason jars usually, so I put on the lid and give it a good shake until everything is mixed and very cold. In a pitcher I stir for a few minutes.

Garnish with lemon and lime wedges, olives, celery stalks, and if you can- the best garnish of all: pickled green beans. I get a jar or two at the grocery store everytime I got to New Orleans. They really set off the bloody mary and I also use the juice inside the drink also.

Then, find a shady stoop or patio table. Gather friends. Enjoy some spicy conversation and beverages.

Repeat if necessary until it becomes naptime.

Have a happy Sunday.
:)

2 reverberations:

cls said...

Ugh. I've never been brave enough to try a Bloody Mary. Maybe one day...

Nicole said...

I'm in line with Cass...never tried one...never had the guts. But since you laid out this recipe with such love and care, I'll try it just for you. ;oD