it's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then

My mantra these days.

"You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

How amazing is that phrase? I repeat it to myself; over and over. It has developed a song-like rhythm in my head.

"You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

Looking for meaning in the randomness of life can be maddening. You start thinking about the point of living and you can go crazy! Why do anything when you could die- anywhere, at any time, for who knows what reason.

It makes you question everything: why go to school, why pay taxes, why not have another truffle or a few glasses of wine?

On that note: I am still succeeding in abstaining from alcohol. It has been over 24 hours now. I even went to a restaurant where they offered me a free glass of wine- and I turned it down!!!!

OK, now anyone who knows me knows there is no way I would ever in a million years turn down a free glass of wine. So here is what really happened:

The waiter told my friend that because they didn't have a liquor license they were pouring free glasses of wine with the meal; hmm.... I like the sound of that!

But they only had white zinfandel and chardonnay- yuck.

My two least favorite wines. I won't even drink them... usually.

Regardless of that fact- I order a Chardonnay- the lesser of the two evils.

Then when the waiter walks away, my brain clicks on and .... I remember- oh yeah, that whole abstinence-teetolling plan.

Oops....

However, the waiter returns with no glass of chardonnay because they "ran out". He offered me a glass of Texas White which I wisely refused and then I thanked the Universe for its infinite wisdom in showing me the way once again.

I have had many of these moments of divine intervention since I moved to Corpus and even throughout my planning stages. Remember, I was supposed to move to Galveston and then changed my mind at T minus seven days!

I just knew in my gut what was the right choice and went with it, regardless of reason or people thinking I was nuts for changing my mind at the last minute like that.

That is the way life goes; or mine anyway. I stumble along and take what comes at me and try to interpret what my place in the grand scheme of things may be... eventually.

"You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

2 reverberations:

cls said...

Aww Rach, I love you! What a great post. Life is for the living, no?

Funny you don't like White Zinfadel or Chardonnay. Lol. I can actually tolerate those.

Although, I will have you know that I tried and LOVED Pinot Grigio Santa Margherita. I often crave it now. Aren't you proud?!

Rachel said...

hey so i love your page!! i can't wait to figure all this out and get mine lookin good! love all the pics and you are a great writer!!! really enjoy reading your blog.