it's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then

Homesick for a home.

People say that, "Home is where the heart is," but what do you do when your heart is spread all over the place?

I believe as we age, we discover ourselves piece by piece and eventually we become an amalgamation of the sum of these discoveries; eventually if we try hard enough we get to know who we really are at our cores. Every discovery includes a decision: Stay or go? Stand or fall? Jump in headfirst or not at all? What kind of person am I? We choose and our lives are the sum of our choices. The person we have created then lives in the world we created and leads the life we have chosen. This all leads us back to our warm, fuzzy, safe place we call home.


Well for the last few years, I have been feeling homesick for a home. Most twenty-somethings probably can relate. Changing apartments, cities, jobs, schools; at what point do we get to say, "This is it, I am home." Home- it's more than a place, it's a feeling and I believe we do know where it is or where to find it, instinctively. Family and loves are spread all over the country, but thanks to the miracles of technology they can still be a part of our lives. We can now choose our homes knowing that, yes, we will meet again some bright, shiny day.

I have made my little apartment into my nest, my home, and I love being there. My heart is there and I feel at peace. I miss it when I am away. It's nice to leave home and go visiting, but it will be wondrous to return to where my heart is because I have found me a home...
;)

4 reverberations:

cls said...

Completely unrelated, but, Oh boy have I "rassled" up some fun for you and Meredith. Over the holidays, I dug into my old closet and found A TON of old diaries and notes...I laughed all the way home on the plane ride. I will be sharing my discoveries soon. And yes, Meredith has the same comment, verbatim, on her blog.

Rachel, who the hell was Tito!?! Circa 1998-1999? Did he have a big nose?

cls said...

No, wait, it would have been circa 1995. My mistake.

~meredith~ said...

Very insightful.

Whether it's here or somewhere else, home always seems to be where my husband is. :)

Tyly said...

Thank you so much for the Christmas card!