it's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then

Why no ex-scrapbooks?

I don't know- seems prudent, doesn't it? Pages and pages of happy smiling no longer a couple on various trips and weddings, seems awkward.

Maybe it needs it's own scrapbook? That could work- or just a box to shove it all away somewhere hidden?

The photos came off the wall as it ended, that seemed like an obvious first step, but I just never dealt with the albums because it means rearranging like three full photo albums and it also has an element of finality that I never thought I would actually have to accept.

I never wrote after the breakup because I prefer to shove feelings into a closet and try to forget about them. Upon reflection, I feel this may not be the best system and could create future problems. I also avoided putting myself out there- as it was and is an amicable split, I questioned, how do I have a right to feel? But truly, it doesn't matter what I am allowed to feel because hearts are bad at listening to what we dictate and generally do as they please anyway.

Writing = healing, and healing is essential and allows us to truly move on. I wish I had written more, I think I would be farther along now. What is broken can, and will, be put back together, sometimes in a superior way. I send this message out there and I hope my experience helps those who need friends right now.
:)

3 reverberations:

cls said...

I would take the photos out and place them in a box somewhere. I wouldn't re-arrange your entire scrapbook just to cater to "those" pictures. A boy box is always a good thing to have stowed away. I still have mine somewhere.

Tyly said...

Now, now Rachel and roomie, let's not overlook the uneven eyebrows and messed up teeth! Lol. I laughed out loud at your comment. I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed the cockeyes and greasy hair! Good to know it's not in my head! :o)

~meredith~ said...

I had the same issue when I met Josh. I had a ton of pictures of my ex in a scrapbook. I ended up just telling Josh about it and putting the scrapbook away. I haven't looked at it since, but I didn't want to throw it out. It holds memories (good, bad, or indifferent) of my ex and other things that don't mean what they used to mean to me but are there because I hope to share them with my daughter one day and laugh. :)

I hope that made sense. I am kind of doped up on cold medicine. lol.