it's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then

Teenager issues.

Have you ever tried talking to a teenager?

It is like pulling teeth out of a crocodile.  My sister is about a month shy of fifteen and it also takes about fifteen minutes of one word answers from her to get her to warm up to having an actual conversation.  In her defense, I have a hard time remembering that she is not a little girl, and how she probably feels like a grown up.  I know what I thought I knew when I was fifteen, and it was everything.

After a while, she did warm up.  We had a pretty nice talk.  Being a teenager is hard.  I wouldn't do it again, unless I could retain my wisdom.  As a teen, everything seems so urgent, so crucial and so unfair.  Life is hard.  I empathize with her completely.  I just want her to turn out ok.  I worry for her because I know how teens think, and boy does that scare me.

Here's a little plea to the universe, please let my baby girl make it out of the hellish years of "-teen" unscathed.

3 reverberations:

Tyly said...

My brother is 17 and my sister is 14. I get it!!

Nicole said...

Definitely. My brother is 22 & he still gives the one word answers. I thought I knew everything--I was amazed at how much I grew/learned from 23 til now.

Rae said...

It is great to know people are in my same boat! And wow Tyly, two teens! Sounds like that could be tiring at times! :)

I just want her to know she isn't alone, ever.